- Many people who have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep have 'noisier brains' than
people without sleep issues
- 12% of people dream entirely in black and white
- Two thirds of a cat’s life is spent asleep
- A giraffe only needs 1.9 hours of sleep a day, whereas
a brown bat needs 19.9 hours a day
- Humans spend 1/3 of their life sleeping
- The record for the longest period without sleep is 11 days
- It’s not uncommon for deaf people to use sign language in their sleep
- Dysania is the state of finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning
- Parasomnia is a term that refers to unnatural movements during your sleep - Some people have even committed crime due to parasomnia, including sleep driving and even murder.
- The sensation of falling when half asleep and jerking yourself awake is called ‘hypnic jerks’ - No-one is totally sure why hypnic jerks occur but they are deemed to be perfectly healthy. However, they may be increased by anxiety,
caffeine or physical activity close to bedtime. They are more frequent in young people and decrease as we get older.
- It’s thought that up to 15% of
the population are sleepwalkers
- 1 in 4 married couples sleep in separate beds
- Sleep deprivation will kill you more quickly than food deprivation
- Those born blind experience dreams involving things such as emotion,
sound and smell rather than sight
- Within 5 minutes of waking up, 50% of your dream is forgotten - After an additional 5 minutes, 90% of recollection is gone.
- Pain tolerance is reduced by sleep deprivation
of the British population sleep in the foetal position - 5 other sleeping positions have been identified: the log, yearner, starfish, soldier and free faller.
experts have discovered a direct link between people’s favourite sleeping positions and their personalities
- Ideally, falling asleep at night should
take you 10-15 minutes
- Humans are the only mammals that willingly delay sleep
- Sleeping on your front can aid digestion - Hands should apparently be positioned above the pillow so you’re in a ‘freefall’ position, whilst laying on your left side can apparently help reduce heartburn.
- High earners (£65 – £75,000) get the best sleep - I would certainly sleep better if I earnt that much money!
- Fear is said not to be the main emotion in nightmares - Most often its feelings of sadness, guilt and confusion.